Kaunas City Day is celebrated May 20.
Kaunas was founded in 1280 at the confluence of the two largest Lithuanian rivers Nemunas and Neris. From the 17th century until we reached the ruins of the castle of Kaunas, with ages 17-18 — the beautiful buildings of the old town.
Kaunas — a city with a very old and well-established cultural traditions. This is the place that gave the country a generation of Lithuanian artists, composers and writers. Their work is represented in numerous museums and galleries M.Zhilinskasa Art Gallery, the Museum of Lithuanian literature Maironis name. Of great interest are the ceramics museum, the museum of folk music, the Museum of Medicine and Pharmacy, Vytautas the Great War Museum, and others.
In addition, Kaunas — one of the oldest centers of crafts: the production of knitted wool, pieces of embossed leather, wood and stone, art pottery. In this connection, great interest is the museum of folk life.
The first known mention of the city dates back to 1361. In today's Kaunas can be found and the remains of an ancient fortress, relating to 13th and 16th centuries, when the Lithuanians have had to repel attacks Teutonic Knights.
old town is picturesquely situated on the confluence of two rivers, is an amazing combination of archeology, architecture and history. By the Gothic style buildings include Kaunas Castle (13-17 century), the house Perk?nas (the end of the age 15-16) — one of the largest Gothic buildings in Lithuania. The Dukes Palace Masalskaya — a creation of the Renaissance. Baroque monastery of kamaldoliytsev Pa?aislis (one of the most beautiful creations of its kind in Northern Europe), the town hall, the church of the Jesuits.
Kaunas Castle (Photo: ru.wikipedia.org)
Orthodox churches of Kaunas fully reflect the history of the city itself. Prior to World War II in 1812 only Orthodox in Kaunas were either traded in the city of merchants, or soldiers of the garrison, which was located in the city after the partition of Poland III.
uprising in 1831 has greatly changed the policy of the empire to the Catholic Church. New Orthodox churches in the city is not built, instead, altered confiscated or abandoned after the War of 1812, Catholic churches. City then consisted only of the old part (modern Old Town), so all the temples were located close to each other. The decoration of the temples, icons, too often "borrowed" by Catholics, which imposes certain "Western" imprint.
As the appearance of the city and the district station and the "New Plan" beginning to have new Orthodox churches. Construction of Kaunas fortress has left its mark not only on the development of the city itself, but also on the number of Orthodox churches in it.
In the early 20th century, more than half of the churches of the city were garrison. New churches were established in places of dislocation forces (military bases) and originally existed as domestic churches, later the military forces were built with wood or stone outbuilding. With very little means, the military created an interesting architectural composition. The simplicity of the regimental churches with more than compensated erected in the center of the new town of Kovno fortress Cathedral of the Saints Peter and Paul — the central cathedral fortress.